Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Experimental Painting

Hello everyone,

It has been quite awhile since I last posted so I will catch you up.  There has been much to do as far as catching up with everyday life, but really, the main reason I haven't been in the studio is that I wasn't wanting to face the canvas.  So I came to accept the idea that I was very much product oriented which isn't all bad but for me, it isn't good.  Each day I felt like a failure if I didn't have something that I could say was sale worthy or had artistic merit.  I suppose I had a lot of left over thoughts from art school and from working in the graphic fields.  I had stopped playing and experimenting.

So I came across mixed media and intuitive painting and decided to combine some them in a way.  My fingers are now some of my brushes and I am stamping and stenciling and adding other mediums.  It is hard to get the need to produce a product out of mind but I am trying.  At least, I'm having fun.  As always, thanks for looking.

2 comments:

  1. I like this piece very much. For many years I made art quilts and sold them in galleries. I sold many of them and I was always working on the next thing for the gallery--so I understand product driven. One day I knew I was finished and I started doing mixed media and now painting. I do it just because I like it. I had a show a few years ago, but haven't had one since. I don't have to market myself (although I will admit that my studio is getting rather full of paintings and eventually I will have to try to sell some of them. Playing and experimenting is fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet, Thanks so much for your response! I, too, don't have to sell (though I do like to pay for my supplies, :-) ), so I ask myself why get so uptight? Just have fun. Which artists inspire you? I've been checking out several on YouTube. Happy painting, Dolores

      Delete